Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am a wedding DJ, a past bride sent me thank you card, I

Customer Question

I am a wedding DJ, a past bride sent me thank you card, I took a photo of the thank you card on my desk and in the corner of the photo (i took) I put my logo to brand the image. Now the photographer that took the original images at the wedding which are on the card the bride sent me is say I am stealing his images is this true?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, you are using his image for commercial gain, so if you are displaying his image without consent then it could be a copyright violation. However, if the bride has joint copyrights in the image, she has the right to give you permission as well, so you need to check with the bride and ask her for proof she has joint rights (a copy of her photography contract) and then ask for her written consent to use the image and once you get that send a letter back to the photographer that you have permission from the joint copyright holder to use the image.
This is going to depend on her contract with the photographer, so you need to check that, because if the bride does not have joint copyright rights, then you cannot display the image as it would violate the photographer's copyright if he solely holds it.