Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

I had a fence installed in August of 2012. In early spring

Customer Question

I had a fence installed in August of 2012. In early spring 2016 I noticed several of the vertical slats are coming loose because the staples they used were not sufficient to secure them properly. I have since learned that long screws or nails are the preferable method for securing the slats. I have called and emailed the company several times (record kept of days & times) and an estimator came out once and said they would get back to me. It's been another month now since then with no word from them, though I've contacted them with no return phone or email. Should I have a different contractor fix the problem, then sue the original in small claims for the expense?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oregon and they have a CCB license and are classed as a "corporation"
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No lawyer. But I'm considering sending a registered letter to their address as a warning.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I cannot register a CCB complaint with the state because there is a 2-year limit.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 months ago.

The last idea about sending a registered letter is a good one. Also, you should obtain an estimate from another fence company as to what the cost of repairs would be. Send that estimate along with your registered letter. I guarantee you that will get someone from the original fence company out to fix the problem. They do not want to face the possibility of having to pay what a rival company charges to fix your fence. They can do it much cheaper themselves. Hopefully you will get some positive action within a few days of sending the letter and the estimate.

Please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.