Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I have several unpaid checks from my employer 6 years ago. I

Customer Question

I have several unpaid checks from my employer 6 years ago. I had previously mentioned them however I did not follow up given demands of other employment. How can I reclaim the money from those checks?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You can file through the Department of Labor or a private attorney for breach of contract. However, the statute of limitations in NY is six years so you need to move quickly on this.

The Department of Labor sometimes takes a little longer but the advantage is that you don't have to pay them for the work they do. A private lawyer will move faster bu they are going to charge at least a third of whatever they collect, if not more.

The DOL website with forms is at

You can find a lawyer to assist you by going to and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Litigation or Employment Law. Either of those will have the skill set you need.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.