Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I had a spectacular undeveloped view property in Marin

Customer Question

I had a spectacular undeveloped view property in Marin County, CA on the market for $1M. A 13 year old minor set 5 arson fires over the course of 2 days both on an near the property causing substantial damage, such that I have had to take it off the market. The boy confessed and was processed through the juvenile system. At the time, I was not allowed into the trial because they never did an investigation as to exactly what property burned and I was therefore not recognized as a victim. The police have since updated the reports to list my property in the case. Because he is a minor, the DA is refusing to give me any information about the boy, his family, or the disposition of the case. I need the info in order to file a civil case for damages. What rights do I have to get this info? Please provide references to CA law that I can cite
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What you would do is file a suit on "John Doe and Jane Doe, parents of Minor Doe" in your suit you would state that because the District Attorney of Marin County has the information, but refuses to release it, you will obtain the information by subpoena and file an amended complaint. Then you file your complaint with all of your allegations as I said above and once you file suit, you would obtain a subpoena to the DA from the clerk of court demanding release of the information on the minor and his parents. The DA will have to reply to the subpoena and if they refuse you would file a motion to compel and bring them into court and the court will order them to provide the information
Once you get that information, you do not need any motion or anything, you simply file your First Amended Complaint with the parent's and minor's real names and addresses on the complaint and the remainder of the complaint would be the same and you would then have them served a copy of the suit and summons to appear and answer.