Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

We now live in the State of NC, we moved here from Prince

Customer Question

We now live in the State of NC, we moved here from Prince William County Va, in 1998, my husband's company sent him to Va to work, the state of Va kept our Va income taxes because they said we owed it, now they have frozen our bank account so they can get the rest of their money, my question to you is, what is the statute of limitation in the state of Va and do they have the right to do this
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, there is no statute of limitations in VA for delinquent or failure to pay taxes. Thus, the Commonwealth of VA can seek to collect back delinquent taxes due at any time. So, if you dispute the amount of taxes due, you can do so and would need your CPA or tax preparer to get you the documents to file an appeal on the amount they are claiming due, but if you do owe that amount, then the Commonwealth has no statute of limitations to collect it.