Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

I purchased a car on May 26, 2016. My son also bought a car

Customer Question

I purchased a car on May 26, 2016. My son also bought a car in the same day. I was to cosign and his vehicle. We signed contracts and left with our vehicles the same day. Four days later I received a denial notice from the bank. About two weeks after that I received a loan packet for my son's car in my name and then the title to his car came in my name. It seems I was the signer and he was the cosigner. And then I received my title with no lien attached on it. On July 20 I was contacted by the bank about my car saying that I have a loan with them. I told them I did not have a loan with them because I received a denial letter. The same day they sent out paperwork thanking me for opening up my savings account to pay my loan with and at the bottom of the paperwork there was a coupon I was supposed to return saying that I needed to pay my first payment and they will backdate it to July 1. So I am in a crossroads not understanding what I should do from here I don't feel I need to pay two loans or have my credit messed up the way it is and I just feel like something fishy is going on when it comes to my loan because they didn't bother me for two months now all of a sudden they're going frantic trying to get money out of me and backdate it for the beginning of the month.
Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You would want to go to the bank in person if it is local here, it is not at all clear that they did not mess up.You take all the papers here and see what they say and do to resolve it.To me it looks like you got a car and a loan and he was listed as cosigner.This is not what you wanted, they need to resolve it with you.If you don't want the car here take it with you and see what you can do to resolve it and give it back.

You know what you wanted and what you signed for.The documents here may help them resolve it.Certainly there has been an error made here.You may have to turn back the car if you cannot resolve it.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.