Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I was sentenced to 20 days in jail on a misdeamenor charge,

Customer Question

i was sentenced to 20 days in jail on a misdeamenor charge, well i was also realesed to possibly find a rehab. well i found a rehab but they wanted to give me outpatient treatment but yet none of this was on paper work. so do i still have to do the days if they realesed me on no condition but verbal?
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Yes, the Defendant is still bound by the orders of the court even if they are verbal. NOTE that many times, open court is recorded so the orders may be recorded and transcribed later if needed.

But yes, you have to follow the orders of the Judge even if verbal. If anything, the Judge likely also made notes themselves in the court log which is accessible by any later Judge.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.