Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

We've been told that in Arizona the use of bed rails is

Customer Question

We've been told that in Arizona the use of bed rails is prohibited in the rest home my mother in law is in because it is not a skilled nursing facility. My mother in law is in hospice care, and has 24 hour care with a caregiver. She appreciates the bed rails for the opportunity to support her when she uses them to move and the "feeling of security" they provide her...not falling out of bed etc. The head RN at the facility says the law says they are a fire hazard. I say ridiculous.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: arizona
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: nope
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I cant think of any
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience and I'd like to assist for informational purposes.

I'm not sure where the RN is getting the idea that the issue with bed rails is "fire hazard." It is my understanding that the bed rails are discouraged, because while they can decrease the incident of falls, if a person does fall, the risk of injury is greater, because of the way the person can fall and squeeze into the gap between the bed and the rail, and getting wedged in there, and/or having one end of their body held up, while the other end, possibly the head, falls and takes the entire force of the fall.

Has that helped?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
34;My understanding " Won't really help me as I'm trying to advocate for my dying motherin laW and trying to figure out how to stop them from taking her rails....
��
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Maverick. (Here) is my profile. Please give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

In AZ, physical restraints such as bed rails may only be used as ordered by a physician to treat a patient or to protect the safety of the patient or the safety of others. So if your mother in law needs them, she may want to get a doctor's order.