Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

My father and mother were in the us as he was visiting a got

Customer Question

My father and mother were in the us as he was visiting a got a heart attack. They were here for 7 months. Unfortunately, they had no one who could operate their banks in India. Their business needed some money for a legal case. I gave my mom money to take it back to India and help her out with her business but due to delays in flight they were stuck in the us. As the business needed the money, my brotherinlaws family in India landed the money and paid locally. As soon as she lands, she will repay them back. I am know hearing that what she did and our family is illegal? Please advise
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

As long as they declare the cash here when th ey land in India there is not a problem.Anything $5k and over needs to be declared at entry.I do nto see that there was any problem or anything illegal if they declare the funds upon entry.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok but my brotherinlwas family giving money to her business lawyer locally while she lands and Pays them after the fact is fine. I was hearing that is against money laundering laws. I would doubt it as this one family helping other out
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Foreign Currency- There is no limit to bring foreign exchange in India from the US. However, the aggregate value of foreign currency notes in excess of USD 5000 or equivalent and the aggregate value of foreign exchange in the form of currency notes, bank notes or traveller’s cheques in excess of USD 10,000 or its equivalent must be declared to the customs.

No as long as she declares it here there is not a problem, you have to declare it to avoid any money laundering issues with customs at the airport.

If you can positive rate it is much appreciated.I don't see a problem here , no laundering.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was reading somewhere about 'hawala' which is some one paying money here locally in the us and some one in India paying the equivalent. I am sure given this is a legit transaction where a fAmily in India is paying locally and will be reimbursed when my my her lands in India and exchanges the dollars to rupees and pays them back
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can u confirm
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

I can confirm that this appears to be legitimate use of family funds . I can do extended chat online here , am not yet set up for calls.Will send you an offer.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

It is much appreciated if you can 5 star rate.Thanks again.