TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My grandfather was a logger. in 1943 all three of s sons

Customer Question

my grandfather was a logger. in 1943 all three of his sons were in the military fighting WWII. My grandfather held title to a section of land he was logging and drowned in 1943. The state of Mi. took his land away from his widow while her sons were over seas. could we his grandchildren have any means of having that property returned to the family?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

I'm sorry to say that the answer is likely no. First and foremost, Michigan may have had a good reason to take the property. You don't mention why, but it is unusual for a state to steal property from people, so in most cases (though admittedly not all) the state is within its rights. Second, and possibly more importantly, it's been so long since this occurred, any statute of limitations would have expired decades ago. So even if the widow had a legitimate claim at one time, it's far too late to make that claim now, 70 years later.

I am truly sorry that my answer is bad news for you, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!