Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

My ex is on my deed to a house and I had a quit claim deed

Customer Question

My ex is on my deed to a house and I had a quit claim deed drawn up to take her name off. She stated her business has a tax lean and can't proceed at this time or it would be fraud. Is this a true statement? There is no lien against the house. Just her business, a federal tax case
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NJ
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: My name is ***** ***** the mortgage but she owes 2/3 of the total. The house may have about 20K in equity after it is sold
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No, it's not exactly true. It would only be fraud if she was giving a deed to try and hide money and property.

The deed could be reversed by the government at some point depending on what the lien is for, whether it eventually goes to her personal property, etc.

Why are you trying to get her to deed the house to you? Was it ordered in the divorce?