Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I just got convicted of a 1192.4 in ny and was suspended. I

Customer Question

I just got convicted of a 1192.4 in ny and was suspended for 6months. I am licensed in Ct. What will my suspension be in CT?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

That's going to be up to Connecticut once you finish your NYS sentence and your suspension period and then attempt to reinstate your license. Connecticut will assess you and can make you jump through additional hoops as a result of that assessment, such as installing an interlock, even if it was not required of you in New York.

Such requirements may look like you are being punished twice for the same criminal offense, but they are standard,have been challenged and upheld and do not constitute double jeopardy.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Connecticut suspends a license for one year after a CT dui, so they may also extend the time of your suspension beyond the 6 months New York required.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
According to the dmv website Ct suspends for 45 days plus a year of inter lock....
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

I've seen that but also have seen elsewhere that it can be for up to a year. The interlock requirement is a year.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do I know the right answer?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

The laws were toughened in CT in 2015, and I don't know when some of the information on the web was written. But the actual time will depend upon the facts and circumstances of your case and what your BAC was. The higher the BAC the longer the suspension. For a .08 to .16 the suspension is 90 days. Since yours will be suspended for 6 months, that should not involve extra suspension time. Over .16, Connecticut would suspend for 6 months, so you've got that covered too.

If you refused to blow, you get another 6 months on top of what New York gave you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.