Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I recently found a check from Union Bank of California,

Customer Question

I recently found a check from Union Bank of California, issued on 12/23/2003, for consulting services performed by me.
The check amount is $37,335.00.
I am a Vietnam Veteran and have been classified as 100% disabled with the added classification of permanent and total. All of the disability is related to my combat service.
The failure to deposit the check was one of many oversights and loss of memory and focus due to a Traumatic Brain Injury.
I have all the VA documentation and the original check.
I have spoken to Union Bank and they seem willing to agree but they have not come back to me and I was thinking of just depositing the check.
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I was thinking of just depositing the check.

.

You can try to do so, but it is likely that it will be returned because once a check gets over a year old, virtually every bank will refuse to honor it.

.

So your best recourse here is to check with the state Unclaimed Property office to see if they actually took those funds and turned them over to the state when the check wasn't cashed for a couple years.

.

See link: CA Unclaimed Property

.

I would then follow up with the bank in person, not over the phone because it is too easy to ignore you on the phone or tell you what you want to hear. If you are standing there in person talking to a branch manager, then you are much more likely to get their help, especially considering you are a veteran.

.

And thank you for your service..

.

.