Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

I have a friend who paid 31k piece of equipment; however,

Customer Question

Hi. I have a friend who paid 31k for a piece of equipment; however, the seller has not delivered the equipment. Can he file a lien against the seller? A year has passed since this incident
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: That's all the information that I have at this time
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers. [Proof that you are in good hands].

ANSWER: The proper way to address this is to first send a demand letter asking for delivery of the equipment or a refund within 31 days as per this Texas law. By doing this you will set them up so that when you sue the seller for breach of contract, you can recover not only the 31k that is owed; but also your reasonable and necessary attorney's fees. Once a suit is filed and a judgment obtained, then a lien can be filed.