Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

The next door neighbor would like to strip down aluminum

Customer Question

The next door neighbor would like to strip down aluminum shingles with asbestos lining on the wall adjacent to my side yard. And I mandatory by law has to let them in to my side yard to do it ? DEP stated that they have to strip down asbestos on my side.Corresponding next door contractor deliberately stripped down some asbestos containing construction materials on my side yard when they stripped down aluminum shingles at the edge of anterior and posterior wall on July 16, 2016, while nobody inform me corresponding materials contain asbestos. I was exposed to corresponding asbestos containing materials for 2 mornings when I cut grasses on the side yard and the other homeowner disclose to me corresponding information accidently. DPE inspector came in confirmed corresponding materials are asbestos. Corresponding contractor already clean up corresponding debris. May I ask what is my next step?
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers. [Proof that you are in good hands].

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Answer: You have two separate issues here. As far as asbestos exposure, you may want to contact a local area law firm that handles only asbestos cases. With only two days exposure and no medical bills, it may be a hard case to win or settle now; but the can put you in touch with a medical expert that they usually have on staff or routinely deal with and get you most likely a free diagnosis and an assessment of your claim.

As far as gaining access to your land, you may want to enter into a temporary construction access agreement with them in exchange for compensation. This is also known as a license and protection agreement in NY.