Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I got stopped today and almost went to jail to private

Customer Question

Hi I got stopped today and almost went to jail for damage to private property. I didn't damage anytjinf except put a few scratches on the car. They let me go but they said all the evidence would go up to a judge for evaluation. I was caught n video hitting the car. What can I do so I wont go to jail.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did you leave the scene of the accident?

Do you have any criminal record?

Please provide me with more details about the situation.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did not. The cops stopped me before I could leave.I have no criminal record.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They had me hand cuffed and where about to arrest me but since there was mo damage the said they were just gonna send everything up for a case and let me go. They said once its sends up there may be a arrest warrant depending on what the judge says based on the evidence.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The only evidence is a video the person took of me hitting the car and a couple scratches on the car.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I got to avoid getting a criminal record at all cost because Im about to leave for the army. What can I do?

Thank you for your follow up.

I am not clear on the facts related to your situation.

After you hit another person's vehicle, did you remain on the scene and waited for the police to report the accident?

Please clarify.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I didn't hit the car with my car. I went over and hit it with a tire iron. I did not wait for the cops. I didn't know the cops where called. I was charged with trespassing. I can no longer go to the apartment complex

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you realize that hitting someone's vehicle with a tire iron is a crime?

When you say you were "charged" with trespassing, do you mean criminal charge was filed against you?

Did you make any admissions to the police?

Did you consult and retain an experienced local criminal defense attorney?

Did you fully compensate the owner of the damaged vehicle for any damage done by you to the car?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There was no damage except for some scratches. I did admit to the police I hit it with a tire iron Bcz they had me on tape and I didn't wanna get in any more trouble. I didn't get any legal advice. Cops just said I couldn't come to the complex anymore or ill be charges with trespassing
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But that the evidence was gonna be sent up in a case for evaluation and that I could be charged and issued an arrest warrant.

Thank you for your follow up.

Is the owner of the vehicle / victim willing to cooperate with the police and wants the state to pursue criminal charges against you?

Why did you engage in such criminal conduct of vandalizing another person's car?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is my wife's ex girlfriend. Mt wife was telling me she was harrasing her and having people follow us when we went out and I told her to step back and she didn't but that wasn't the case. She was avruallt cheering on me with her and that's why her ex kept being around. I didn't know this. I was upset and acted on it. Yes the owner is wanting to file criminal cheages unless I agree to divorce Mt wife.

Thank you for your follow up.

Did the police indicate which criminal charges might be pursued against you?

Why do you think that there might be an option to avoid criminal charges, after not only crime was committed, but also the person who committed the crime made an admission to the police and there is video recording to support the criminal charges?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Because there was no damages done to the property and because I have proof saying that she will drop charges only if I divorce my wife which is all she's been doing trying to get in the way of my marriage. They said it would be criminal mischief since there was no real damage.

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, I am afraid I cannot provide you with the favorable answer or any options to avoid criminal charges, so I will opt-out of your question at no charge to you and wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was charged for the consult . when will i be getting it credited back on my account?