Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

My son took a vehicle titled to me to California without my

Customer Question

My son took a vehicle titled to me to California without my knowledge and caused property damage to someone else. My insurance would not cover the damages and now a legal/collection firm is trying to collect from me. Am I liable?
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers. [Proof that you are in good hands].

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

ANSWER: Since the accident happened in MT, then MT law should govern. But, unless they can show that you were somehow negligent and your negligence was the cause of the accident, the victim should not have a viable claim against you. For example, if they can show that you knew that you son repeatedly takes off with the car and that he is a reckless driver, but yet, you continued to leave your keys in plain sight so that your son has easy access to them, then you could be liable under a theory of negligent entrustment.