Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My daughter received a grant from St.Louis County Planning

Customer Question

My daughter received a grant from St.Louis County Planning and Developement for a new roof.She contracted C&J Roofing and General Contracting Company to install the roof.The roof was not installed properly and caused water damage to her family room.She contacted Micheal Coleman,the owner, he said it was not is fault and he was finished.St.Louis County Planning and Developement refused to pay him and he is suing her in civil court.Another roofing company A&T roofing and Contractors did the job.Her insurance company State Farm paid to repair the water damage minus $1,500 deductable.Insurance adjuster,Bellfontaine Neighbors inspector, where she lives inspector and St.Louis County inspectors all said the roof was improperly installed.How can she contend with this lawsuit and the $5,000 he's asking for.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your daughter's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a personal phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. When you say the owner said it was not his fault, are you referring to the first roofing contractor?

2. Has your daughter filed an answer to the lawsuit yet?

3. Does she have an attorney?

4. Has St. Louis County Planning and Development paid anyone yet the amount they granted your daughter for the roof repair?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, occasionally I will respond from a mobile JA unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response - but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. If you were married at the time of purchase and your name is ***** ***** deed the only way he could have taken your name off the deed is to have done something wrong - he could NOT do it just by showing a divorce decree.

My apologies... this answer went in on the wrong question for some reason. Please disregard.