Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

Is the IRS gang involved in another SCAM? Today I received

Customer Question

Is the IRS gang involved in another SCAM? Today I received two phone messages telling me the IRS was in the process of suing me. The phone number the caller left was: (###) ###-#### I'm not about to call them back- they tried the same ruse earlier this year.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

It's the same old scam. Only the phone numbers and names of the so-called agents change. The IRS still doesn't make phone calls of this sort.

When the IRS really does audit you and determines that you really do owe money, you don't get a call or an email. You get a written notification from them via snail mail. The notice is on an official government form and includes the information you need to reply to them, so that you can show them that their calculations are in error and ask for a hearing. You will not get a phone call.

If you are unwise enough to disregard the IRS letter, the IRS STILL won't call you. And they won't come after you to arrest you either. But eventually what would happen is that the IRS will levy your bank account and seize all of your assets. What they will not seize is you.

The IRS is very aware of scams perpetrated in its name, and they tell you how they want you to handle this scam here on their website:

They recommend that you call the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at 800*366*4484 and file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.