DrakeLAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Drake Law Firm PLC

I have a MO partnership LLC, and the clever name we chose is

Customer Question

I have a MO partnership LLC, and the clever name we chose is getting cumbersome on forms, in correspondence etc. We have a fair number of real estate deeds in the company's name also. Can I register a dba with the state and use that interchangeably with the LLC name? If so, is there any legal distinction between the LLC name and the DBA for contracts, deeds, or maintaining as much personal liability protection as possible from the LLC structure?Steve
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Thank you for your question. You can still ask clarifying questions if needed until you are satisfied, there is no charge for follow-up questions. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question. It is important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Finally, please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. I wish you the best in your endeavors! –Rich

Yes you can do that and use it on forms, correspondence, etc. You are right to ask about the distinction and interchangeability with the LLC for liability protection purposes. You need to make it clear on any contracts or deeds or other legal documents that the LLC is the party to the contract and not the DBA. So you should ensure the party to all contracts and deeds is "XYZ LLC d/b/a Better Name." But in correspondence, advertising, etc you can just use the tradename "Better Name."