Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I applied health insurance policy on December 2014 with

Customer Question

I applied for a health insurance policy on December 2014 with Selective Healthcare and I informed the agent upfront that I had pre-existing conditions and he said that was fine, because all of that was covered. On June 2015 I received notification that my policy had been cancelled due to pre-existing conditions. I got an attorney to work on my case due to they had paid no claims since day one. During this time, I had paid my 2000 deductible that I never got back. I currently have 200,000 to 300,000 of medical bills. My lawyer said things were looking good and I would probably get compensation, until she found out that the insurance lawyer was someone that she had worked for or worked with in the past and he said she didn't have a chance, so she dropped my case and said she couldn't help me. First of all, is this not a conflict of interest and also is there anyone in Tennessee that could help me or any suggestions you might have?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I even paid my 2000 deductible and they still paid nothing. I have asthma and I had to pay for all medication out of pocket and was in the hospital about every 2 months or so.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is anyone there?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is what a conflict of interest?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm talking about the lawyer that was working for me and then she found out that she worked for the lawyer representing the insurance company. Is that not a conflict of interest? Is there anyway I can get anything done about this situation?

There could have been a conflict of interest if she didn't reveal that information but there likely wasn't really a conflict just because she used to work for the same lawyer. That actually is a not uncommon scenario.

As to what you can get done you can hire another lawyer to pursue the insurance company or you can file a complaint with the agency in your state that regulates the insurance industry. In TN that would be done at

You can find a lawyer to assist you by going to and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Litigation or Consumer Law. Either of those will have the skill set you need.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.