Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

My husband is in the middle of a court and he wears a kufi

Customer Question

My husband is in the middle of a court and he wears a kufi to court. He has been told numerous times to remove it, due to his religious beliefs he always keeps his head covered. he has been made to sit outside of the court room in a waiting area. July 19th he had to return to court. Again, was told to remove his kufi which he refused. When he his name was called and he was not in the court room the gave him a FTA even though he was told he was in the waiting area just outside of courtroom. The Judge would only lift the bond he issued ig my husband took off the "hat " as he called it.. If he did not comply he would be in contempt of court and still go to jail. After a debate and humiliation of removing his hat he walked in the courtroom with his covering ... he held his head in shame avoiding eye contact. This has really effected him ...Is this legal for the court system to do this?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is the wearing of the kufi a part of a widely recognized religion?