Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I work at a pawnshop and I purchase a set of golf clubs

Customer Question

I work at a pawnshop and I purchase a set of golf clubs yesterday. After purchasing I got the balls out of the bag for myself and paid $5 for them. I then set the clubs in the back for the 14 day hold period. Later the cops come in and they are reported stolen.i had went home for the day at this time. My boss calls me and says that I stole the balls and threw him a $5 tip is all I did. I offered to return the balls so the person whom they were stole from can have them back. Boss told me to don't worry about coming in and hold on to the stuff I took. Is there any trouble I can get into over this?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

In Mississippi you can get fired for any reason, as far as the police you could get into trouble for holding onto the golf balls that you know (at this point) were stolen. They would most likely charge it as theft or conspiracy to commit theft but there are other ways it could be charged as well. You probably want to turn the balls into the shop or the police.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.