MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.

My Daughter was acted Jul 11 and released Jul 14. In the ER

Customer Question

My Daughter was baker acted Jul 11 and released Jul 14. In the ER they drew blood for a toxology test. Next, they did a forced urinalysis test, where they told her she had no rights, they proceeded to hold her down (without telling her what they were doing) and collected urine. If they already collected blood, why would they need urine. Is this normal practice? Were my Daughter's rights violated?
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The short answer is that, unfortunately, your daughter's rights were not violated. The hospital/institution did not violate your daughter's rights and they were well within their authority to request both a urine and blood sample for toxicology screening. This is especially true when there is a suspicion of potential drug use.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.