Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

Broke residential lease agreement since landlord threatened.

Customer Question

If I signed a cognitive note due to breaking a residential lease agreement bc the landlord threatened utility shut off, as well as erratic stalking behavior and I have made the payments thru my bank and he is stating I still owe him more can he place a judgment against me without me proving the payments (bank checks were sent) he is holding them? And can I now sue for loss of property since he has not given back my property that was inside of leased condo?
This is in Ohio.
I did break the lease because I was diagnosed with a blood dyscrasia and had to take LOA from work. I was going thru divorce and needed to move in with my parents in order to take care of my children. He threatened to sue my elderly father as a cosigner who never cosigned for lease, he was stalking me and got erratic when he found out I was dating someone.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 3 months ago.
I am sorry to hear about your situation. I know that you signed under duress probably will not be viewed as enforceable or valid. However judges expect that you should be current in rent before seeking any additional remedies from your landlord.