Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

Police have knocked on my neighbors door looking. Because

Customer Question

Police have knocked on my neighbors door looking for me. Because that's the address the have on file. Also today I saw 4 cop cars outside my apartment.
Can the arrest me outside my apartment, because they have the wrong address
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

If there is a warrant out for your arrest, the police can arrest you wherever they find you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok but they have not knocked on my door. They knocked on my neighbors. However I happen to just walk in a church as the drove by me. One stopped but didn't follow me in
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Could they be waiting for me to leave my house since they have the wrong address on file
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

They have the last address you filed with the state, but they don't have to arrest you at your home. That warrant would give them the right to search that address looking for you. But it doesn't mean that if they find you elsewhere they have to wait for you to visit your neighbor's place to take you in.

An arrest warrant is specific to the person and not the place. A search warrant is place-specific.

Yes, they could be staking out your former residence to try to get you coming or going. If you are concerned about this, it's a good time to seek out local counsel to protect your rights if the police find you and pick you up. But most importantly, if they find you, you should exercise your rights under Miranda and decline to submit to police interrogation.

Do NOT let the police question you about any incident. Tell them that until you have a lawyer you do not wish to answer questions. That's your right and they cannot hold that against you. But the minute you start answering questions about suspected criminal activity, anything you say to the police can be used against you if you're arrested and brought to court.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.