LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.

I'm a contractor, and we've been working on a project that

Customer Question

I'm a contractor, and we've been working on a project that has gone over budget and we financially will not be able to finish it. I will probably be filing bankruptcy on my business and personal since I am a dba. My question is can I be criminally charged? We were still working on the project until yesterday and have done everything we can to finish. Thank you
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Can you be criminally be charged for what? Failure to abide by the contract and finish the project?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

I asked what it is you are concerned that you could be criminally charged for?

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

I other words, you asked if you could be criminally charged. I need to know what crime you think that you might possibly be charged with?

Do you think it is a crime for you to breach a contract?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer has threatened to go to the prosecutor, was just wondering what I could've possibly done that was criminal? I contracted to build a pool pavilion and were way over budget and don't have enough funds left to finish the. Just need to know if the threat of prosecution has any merit. Thanks
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the clarification.

Actually I spent a few years representing contractors in suits by their customers and I have seen this before.

You are absolutely not in any danger of being charged with a crime. All you did was go over budget and are now unable to complete the project. I am sure that you didn't plan it this way.

No crime has been committed and the worst thing that can happen is that they sue you in civil court for breach of contract. And all you need to do is file bankruptcy and that will eliminate the debt that they claim against you based on the breach of contract.

You have no criminal liability based on this incident.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

If I have already provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with this evening?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry, not sure what's going on with the App. I can only see the question I ask, won't let me see the answer. Have to open email to see it.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Get back with me after you can see my answer. I did send it about 90 minutes ago.