LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I received SSI benefits in the late nineties due to poor

Customer Question

Hello, I received SSI benefits in the late nineties due to poor health. I received an overpayment and appealed in 2003. I received the result and then submitted a waiver in 2004. I recently checked in with SSI and no decision had been made by 2016 and the SS rep said it must have been overlooked. Is there a statue of limitations for this decision and what is the next step I should take?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

There is no statute of limitations for the government to seek to collect on an overpayment of which you were previously given notice.

Given the amount of time that has passed you are best off letting sleeping dogs lie and hope that when you apply for social security benefits that they don't delay those in an effort to collect on the overpayment.

At this point you should do nothing.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am in the process of going on disability again ( further health issues) so I may be in need of SSI as a supplement to my private disability insurance. Will this affect the amount of my SSI or disability benefits due to the outstanding SSI dilemma?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Forgot to mention, I have not been on disability or receiving SSI since the initial term in the late nineties...
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

SSI is welfare. SSDI is social security disability that you paid for. You may qualify for SSDI as well so don't overlook that benefit.

If you have an existing SSI overpayment and you apply for SSI, if they give it to you they will deduct 10% from your SSI benefit to put toward the overpayment.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

If I have already provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug