LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

My son is moving into an apartment on 8/13/16 to attend

Customer Question

My son is moving into an apartment on 8/13/16 to attend Kennesaw State. I was not there with my wife when they signed the lease. My son finds out today that he is expected to pay the full month amount. They tell me that they do not prorate. I asked them, "why would anyone pay you for property they are not using?"
What are my rights? Is this legal?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your son's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am a GA licensed attorney.

While it is not illegal for a landlord to contract to collect a full month's rent for only a partial month is it not normal. However, if that is the contract that your son and wife signed, then it will be enforceable. However, if he is paying for the entire month, then he may legally demand the keys to the unit on the first of the month and begin to move his things in and make use of the unit.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. Lesson learned.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your kind words. They are appreciated.

Please understand that in order for me to be compensated for having helped you, I need for you to positively rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars located on your answer page---three stars or more. It is that easy.

Thanks in advance.

I wish you and your family the best,

Doug