Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I was involved in a car accident 2 years ago and am just

Customer Question

I was involved in a car accident 2 years ago and am just settling the restitution in court. The total medical bills and lost wages were around 30,000. My insurance paid them out 100,000. My insurance covered the costs plus they received the remainder of the settlement. Should I be liable to repay the 30,000 or is there a way to fight it?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Typically, the reason a person has insurance is so you pay premiums, and the insurance company pays if you're in an accident. If you're not in an accident, they keep your premiums, and if you are, they cover it. That's the deal. What is the insurance company's basis for asking you to repay them? Is there specific language in the contract they're relying on?