Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I recently entered an alcohol rehab first time. I was lied

Customer Question

I recently entered an alcohol rehab for the first time. I was lied to excessively to get me to fly down and go into treatment! I was specifically told I could leave any time and that I would be able to do all the work I needed to continue my business that I own, once arrived I was perpetually drugged, not allowed to do any of my daily business, which was detrimental to my business. I was told I could not leave at least four to six weeks. I had no phone calls, no way to reach my husband, They literally held me captive! I was told I could leave with out my belongings, no phone money, ID or credit cards and that if I wanted those things back I had to leave the facility for 24 hours, then I could retrieve them. So I wondered the streets of Florida, begging strangers to use their phone, my husband was able to arrange a cheap motel not far, but while walking I collapsed from the heat and was taken by ambulance. They were able to get me to the motel, I had no food no money no phone! My husband left work and flew to Florida $500 plane ticket to get me, he went and got my stuff since we had been away 24 hours and we flew home same day $900. I would have never gone if I knew I could not conduct my business to which I am sole proprietorship, or if I knew it was not my choice to leave. They said I signed the paperwork to make me stay but my blood alcohol was .299 when I signed, I actually asked when I was signing how it could be legal to hold a very drunk person to what ever they where signing. They mislead me and cost me a lot of money and mental anguish as I was walking the streets penniless. I think rehab can be good but this is s huge set back for me and I want to be reimbursed all my out of pocket because of their lies. I'm terrified now!
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they breached their contract with you and misrepresented the nature of the treatment and care AND knew you were intoxicated and unable to understand the contract at the time you signed, you can seek to sue for breach of contract based on the inability to have a meeting of the minds on the contract. You would have to prove that the intoxication was severe enough that you were incapacitated AND the other party was aware of the intoxication at the time.
So, you can likely prove both and as such, you could likely succeed at suing them for the recovery of your damages and losses.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What type of lawyer do I look for, should I be looking at suing my insurance company, where do I begin?
Thank you for your reply.
It would be a general civil attorney or healthcare law attorney and you would be suing the facility, not your insurance company as it is not your insurance company's fault the rehab center did this to you. You would need an attorney in FL where the center is located and you can find one at the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org