Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Ely, I am preparing 2 motions (just in case the first does

Customer Question

Hi Ely, I am preparing 2 motions (just in case the first does not get recommended by the free legal counsel at the court house tomorrow) Can you please guide me as to were I can find a motion for continuance form for Miami Dade county? Every form I find requests a hearing, however I am unable to schedule a hearing before 8/15.
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.
Hello and thank you for requesting me. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.
There is not one online for Miami Dade specifically. However, all counties follow the same general format. However, a good example is here:
www.alachuaclerk.org/forms/MotionForContinuanceG.pdf
(Petitioner/Respondent is to be changed to Plaintiff/Defendant)
Another good example:
www.seols.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Motion-for-Continuance.pdf
An example of a drafted motion:
www.floridaconservator.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/09.05.14-Motion-for-Continuance-of-Trial-Julianne-M.-Jones.pdf
Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Ely,
I do not have a trail date-- I have an approved motion for extension for time, for 8/8-- at which time I will be out of the country,
Can I change the language from "Order granting a continuance of this cause currently set for trial on..." to "Order granting a continuance of this cause currently set for answer on ..."?
,
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.
As explained in our earlier conversation:
You can file a Motion for Continuance to push back any deadline. You can file a Motion for Leave to request more time to file something. Either/both are granted at the discretion of the Court, however.
To get more time to file an answer, one wants to file a Motion for Leave. NOT a Motion for Continuance. So if you have already an approved motion for extension of time, then one files for another SAME motion (motion for leave to extend time to answer and motion for extension of time is the same thing).
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you please send me a link for samples? Everything I pull irrelevant.
Thank you
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.
Sure. But again as explained before, filing and setting the motion for leave (for more time to file an answer) may actually take too much time and you may default while waiting for the motion for leave to be approved.
Example of such a motion:
www.nassauclerk.org/_files/MOTIONORDERTOENLARGETIMEFORMS.pdf