Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Can a parent volunteerely terminate rights?

Customer Question

Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The answer is yes. However, the parent that is voluntarily giving up parental rights does not also void the duty to pay child support if they have to, UNLESS, the child is being adopted.

For example: A and B have a child and they divorce. B pays A child support. A marries C. C wants to adopt the child. If so, then B can give up their parental rights and will not have to pay child support once C adopts the child.

But: A and B have a child and they divorce. B pays A child support. B wants to give up parental rights. Even if B does, B will still have to pay child support if A demands it.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.