Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation

We recently traveled on a family vacation. We flew into

Customer Question

We recently traveled on a family vacation. We flew into Barcelona Spain to board a Royal Caribbean cruise ship (Harmony of the Seas) When we arrived in Barcelona we boarded a Royal Caribbean bus to the cruise terminal. They took all our luggage and told us that all luggage would be delivered directly to our cabins. Well one suitcase never arrived. Still to this day the suitcase in nowhere to be found. My daughter had many brand new items as well as many designer shoes and handbags in this suitcase. Royal Caribbean asked her to make a list of all items in the suitcase. The estimated amount was over $3,000.00 As I had one final conversation with RC headquarters, they have agreed to pay $300.00 as the highest amount for the lost/stolen luggage. Where can I go from here? Their employee clearly lost or stole our suitcase. Is there anything we can do to be compensated?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 3 months ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of litigation experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

You can file a federal law suit against RC for their negligence and you may be able to receive attorney fees and punitive damages in addition to the amount in question. To win the suit, you will likely have to show some form of proof of purchase of the items that were lost.

Having said that, you will spend far more on attorney fees and may not have them awarded to you, even if your shit is successful.

So, what to do moving forward? If you have not checked, you may want to get with your homeowner's insurance carrier. Believe it or not, sometimes these items that are lost or stolen in this nature are actually covered under your homeowner's insurance policy. You will owe a deductible, but given the amount you are out, it would still be worth it if they will cover the amount. You could use the $300 from RC to pay towards that deductible as well.

I would also urge you to contact the consumer protection division of the Georgia Attorney General's Office. You can file a complaint with them and they can investigate the matter as well. They can apply legal pressure on them to pay up what they owe.

In short, this is a tough issue and RC likely knows that this is a "middle ground" wherein the amount in controversy is not necessarily worth you filing suit. I would advise against filing suit and would look into the insurance avenue of recovery and filing a complaint with the Georgia AG.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE STARS) on the ratings bar on your end.

Thank you and best wishes!

Did you have any additional questions?

Just checking to see if you have any additional questions or concerns? I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks