P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

Drove school bus years at College Community 2005-2006. Was a

Customer Question

Drove school bus for 2 years at College Community 2005-2006. Was a excellent driver/employee with NO issues or write-ups. Had a difference of opinion with the then Transportation Supervisor and left to go to Cedar Rapids Schools on my own accord. Unknown to me the Supervisor at College Community put a "notice to NOT re-hire" in my file which is 10 years old. I re-applied yesterday and the NEW Supervisor wanted to hire me but said because of the "NO RE-HIRE letter in my file left by the previous supervisor he by school policy could not!
Is that true? is there a statute of limitations? What are my options. I am as clean as the driven snow, one violatios in 13 years, clean background, no drugs etc.etc.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you under the impression that the supervisor lied about you and the lies have harmed your reputation?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Because I do not have access to the files i can't make a claim that there are lies in it. I can tell you that I was never diciplined while there, my work record was great, and that I believe that the NO-Rehire letter contains NO factual information, certainly none that I know about or agree to.What do I want? I want to interview for a job there and don't want a letter by a former employer to impede this process. I want to know if College Community is within their legal rights to black list a person's future employment based on a "no rehire" letter especially when we do not know it's contents especially after 10 years!

Thank you

What you are describing, if this person lied about you, and the lies harmed your reputation?

That is considered defamation.

HOWEVER, there is a potential problem...the statute of limitations for defamation in IA is 2 years. That "clock" starts to "tick" from the moment of publication of the statements.

It seems this happened well over 2 years ago. THough if it was never communicated to another until recently it may be you can still bring a case.

If the goal is to pursue this, you will need to hire a local attorney to bring the lawsuit

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding