Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Dear Lawyer, I live in Los Angeles, CA, I have some question

Customer Question

Hi, Dear Lawyer,
My name is***** live in Los Angeles, CA, I have some question about the lease my house, and your professional help should be appreciated it.
The question is:
1) if I want to add a end lease term on contract, how can I express the meaning?( how to write the term on contract).
2)if the house has the mold problem before, but repaired already, how can I express on contract to get harmless from responsibility for the mold problem happened before?( it is mean, the mold area fixed, but in the future, mold problem happen again)
I really appreciated your great help.
Thanks and best regards,
Maggie
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you saying you want to end an existing lease?

.

Or are you talking about a future lease?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Mr.Barrister,Thank you so much for your reply, for future lease.Thanks and best regardsMaggie

Ok, if you want the lease to end on a specific date, then you just need to make it a fixed term lease, like a 6 month lease or a 12 month lease where it starts on a particular date and ends on a particular date.

.

Most leases are already fixed term leases so you can just purchase one at a local office supply store or online at a site like USLegalforms.com

.

Then you just fill in the start date and the end date on the lease contract.

.

.

Unfortunately, you can't disclaim liability for negligence in a rental contract. So you can't say that if mold appears, that the tenant can't hold you responsible for fixing it because it is the landlord's duty to make sure the property is safe and meets all code requirements and laws.

.

The way to guard against a claim like this is to put a clause in your lease that states that the tenant has a duty to notify you within 48 hours if they notice any type of mold or mildew growth or any type of water leak.

.

The other way is with frequent inspections of the property at least every 6 months or so where someone goes in an inspects any areas where water is used.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks