LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

How to serve a lawsuit without an attorney... We filed the

Customer Question

How to serve a lawsuit without an attorney... We filed the lawsuit a couple months ago and the deadline to serve it is the 27th, one week away. I had an attorney up until a few days ago but it looks like I'm going to doing this alone from now on. I live in Johnson County, KS and two defendants are here in KC but two are Phoenix, AZ as well. How do I legally serve them? Do I just call any process server and then have them report to the courthouse?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You have two options. The first, is to speak with the clerk of court and see if the Sheriff is able to serve them. If so, there is a nominal fee which you can pay and they can do this. You shared that two of the defendants are in KC, so the Sheriff may be able to do this. If they can not and/or someone outside of the State or County needs to be served, then you simply can hire a process server to serve them. You would call a process server and advise them a lawsuit was filed by you and you need to have parties served and they will advise what needs to be sent to them. Moreover, if you do not know the address or whereabout of the parties, they can always perform a skip trace to find them.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the courts requirements? Typically, how much does it cost to hire a process server?

A process server should not be more then $50 a party and prices vary, so you could simply call a few to get quotes. As far as the requirements, I am referring to any local rules which the court may have. The clerk will be able to answer and provide if there is anything you need to be aware.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where do I find those requirements?

What requirements do you mean?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you have a link to the clerk of Johnson county is that would tell me what is required in serving this lawsuit? Also, what happens if the party is out of town or for some reason cannot be located and served in time?

If they are out of town, the process server will return. They will continue to try and serve them. In the event that they can not be found or are avoiding service, then you could publish on them. Here is a link that you can refer to also for service.http://courts.jocogov.org/local_civ4.aspx

I just wanted to follow up and see if there is anything else I can answer or clarify. I am here to help so please just let me know.