LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

My son signed a contract with a hotel wedding reception in

Customer Question

Good morning. My son signed a contract with a hotel for his wedding reception in November 2015. The contract allowed alcohol to be served at the reception. But the hotel had to be notified alcohol was being served. Which the hotel was notified. The hotel implemented a new policy may 2016.. Guest had to use their bar; no outside alcohol could be served. They are saying the new policy. Proceed the contract. Can this be done in the state of Alabama?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. Just to be clear, originally, the hotel was going to allow your son to bring in outside alcohol to serve and use for his wedding? He was never required to use their vendor/the hotel?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Originally he could bring in alcohol with notification. Which was done. And he was never required to use their vendor/hotel bar until. A new policy was implemented this year

Thank you. The contract which he signed with the hotel would control. It lays out the terms and conditions of the agreement and he relied on this provision/clause which would allow him to bring in his own alcohol and serve it. As I am sure you can agree, that is a huge factor, when it comes to cost. It is a lot cheaper to bring your own alcohol then have to buy it from the hotel. Moreover, the fact that THEY changed their policy does not allow them to void/not have to honor this part of the contract. Unless there is a clause in the contract which would allow them to change/do this, the policy would not trump the contract. If that was the case, they could just change their policy every day, if they entered into a contract and did not like the terms or thought they could make more money off the other party. If they fail to allow it, then he could sue them for a breach in the contract. In my opinion, this is an essential part of the contract and a term and a material breach of they would not allow it. Based upon what you shared above, he should review the contract and see if there is any clause in it which would allow this and if not, then he should hold them to it. If they refuse, then he should advise them he will sue them for breach and for damages suffered, as a result of this.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The contract does not have a clause. It clearly states. He could bring alcohol

Then it would control. The fact that THEY changed the policy, which was at their own discretion, should not allow them to void or not have to honor a portion of the contract. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!