Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

Providing information suspect

Customer Question

Providing information for charged suspect
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Please explain your question.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
A friend of mine is being charged with rape, and I happen to have gone to the same school with the victim that charged him. He and his lawyers asked me to find people who know the victim so they can collect information about the victim when he goes to the court. I'm wondering the potential risks or involvement that will be associated with me personally if I provide any information that eventually get used against the victim on the court. Could you help provide some advice? I would like to stay out of the legal issues and responsibilities but i might do have some information that can help this friend.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would you please advice?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for explaining.

You're not being asked to interview anyone or to get deeply involved. All his lawyer wants you to do is to get them some names of people who know the victim. From there, the lawyer can put his private investigator on it. That doesn't put you at any risk as nobody needs to know how the lawyer came up with their names. Again, an investigator will be doing the actual work and he'll be the one to talk to these folks and not you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will my phone record or text messages to this friend be used as evidence in the court?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

You'd have to ask your friend's lawyer. I don't know what was said in your conversations and if any of it would be relevant, or for that matter, who would be aware of it to want to use it.

However, in general, anything your friend says about the incident for which he was charged to anyone other than his lawyer can potentially be used against him. He should not be discussing his case with you or anyone other than his lawyer and you should not let him continue to do so.

It's also important that you not work against your friend's lawyer. If there are things you want to do (or not do) to help your friend discuss that with your friend's lawyer rather than with your friend so that his lawyer gets no unexpected surprises when he's fighting the case.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.