LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

We were taken advantage by a man who was supposed to fill in

Customer Question

we were taken advantage by a man who was supposed to fill in a little dirt in apool that had already been filled in costing us 2300 dollars and only needed a little amount.he gave us no estimate,the pool still,appeared to have only alittle dirt that would not drain away .and seemed to be clay and now there are large weeds growing in areas.I had planned a garden and have lost all the plants I purchredto plant since I didn't have any place to put them he charged us over 6000.he knew we had planned that money to put in a shower.I guess since we were elderly he seen us had as a soft touch.He had is wife caome and stay in the house and she grabbed the check and left in a hurry.theres is more .but hope some thing we can do. Im;tired of being ripped off ;do try to be careful,but his wife did mention money worries and we must have been the answer.please excuse my typing ,am a retired nurse and my husband was an engeneer for bn for 43 years.thank you for any advise you can give us Gerald and Joan Maxson
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. Can you please share with me what your question is?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how can we recover some of this money
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what can we do about this
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know what else we can do,can we take this to court?

Thank you and allow me a moment

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just talked to our banker about the problem ,she suggested calling life on aging(###) ###-####

So he never did any work?

Just trying to under what you want to recover and why

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
H e brought poor dirt and only a little that would not drain away and now we have large weeds growing and we are not able to cut them out and will have more expence to hiresome one

Thank you. If he failed to perform under the contract and do the job which he was hired for, he would be in breach. First, he needs to be placed on notice regarding the problems and be given a change to fix them. If he refuses and you need to hire a 3rd party to fix it, then you would need to sue him for the cost in doing so. At this point, it is a better of fixing the issue and getting the soil and property in the condition which he was hired for and expected. You can sue him to recover the cost if he refuses to do this.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
why wouldn't we want to recover this rip of.you ask why,I'm asking you for advise So we have to hire an attorney right? mabe the aging place can help us sorry I bothered you

Yes, you can sue him but it may be determined that there was some value/benefit converted for his services. If the entire job was a mess and he did nothing, then you can sue him to recover what was paid.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I realize this is not abig amount of money for an attorney to help with but its a lot for us,and was just trying to find one who would consider it.

Yes, I do understand. If you sue and prevail, the Judge can order that he pay your attorney fees.