Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I traded in my boat with taxes still owed. I received the

Customer Question

I traded in my boat with taxes still owed. I received the new boat and the old one has been paid off. I did not know I owed taxes. The dealer has taken possession but they want me to pay the taxes. Do I still owe the taxes?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, yes, if the taxes due were from the time you owned the old boat, you still are liable for paying the taxes that were due on the old boat. So you would have to make good on those taxes even though you did not know at the time you still owed them.