Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I purchased a motorcycle friend who didn't have good credit

Customer Question

I purchased a motorcycle for a friend who didn't have good credit on July 1 and now he wants to return it what legal rights do I have to return it and will I get $1000 deposit back as I have not made any payments on it
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Are you asking if you can return it to whoever you bought it from?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there a specific timeframe I have to return the bike if it was purchased July 1 and today is the 17th Or am I out of luck. If so what options do I have
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was purchased from a dealership not a private individual

No, unfortunately there is no time limit in which you are allowed to return a motorcycle after its purchase. Some people believe that all contracts have a time period which allows you to "get out" of the contract but that's not true. The only contracts that have a time period are those where it was a door to door type sale, where the sale was made at somewhere other than the seller's location, and some types of timeshares and vacation clubs.

So you are not allowed to return it unless the dealership agrees and they aren't required to give you your deposit back.

Your only real option is to sue your friend for the money.