Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

Is it against the law parent to take a video clip or picture

Customer Question

Is it against the law for a parent to take a video clip or picture of there child in a residential unit where other children are living.
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 3 months ago.
Thank You for contacting justanswer today.
The residential unit is in effect private property and they are entitled to make certain rules to protect the privacy of residents. Certain bylaws may be permitted limiting your rights there to take photos.
As far as State and Federal laws go, I don't see any infringements as long as there nothing indecent in the video, even by accident.
please follow up with me if you need to.
When you are finished, I hope you will positively rate your experience today.
Remember my answer is no substitute from seeking a local attorney with all facts on hand.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There was nothing indescent about by video. In fact he was hyper and they were trying to calm him down and we're putting him lying on top of the blanket and wrapping it around him with his hands down by his side so he would not be able to get out of the blanket and put pressure on him with there arms and count to five and release him and ask him does he want more and if he says yes they keep doing it until he doesn't want anymore and they say it calms him down and when I do it it doesn't do any good and I sometimes think I'm doing it wrong that's why I wanted a video of it as I would know then if I was doing it properly. There going to get social to have a talk with new next week. I apologised to the staff this morning but not sure where that is going to be any good. The manager said that I will have to leave the phone in her office or in the car or else go down the town as she can't allow any more access in the building so I chose go down town as I'm doing a Gemiini program with my son to try and get him to talk as he has a learning disability. The residential staff take photos without my permission of James at Christmas and summer without my permission and I can't see why I can't take photo or videos clips without permission when they do so. I don't think it's fair.

Thank you for following up on your question. In relation to contacting social services: All citizens are entitled to contact them if they are concerned about the welfare of a child.

In relation to the apparent discrimination : These public and private lodgings are prohibited from discriminating against a person on basis of race, gender, color, nationality and disability.

If you feel that you are being discriminated against on one of these grounds, I would advise you to contact a local civil rights attorney.

At this moment without a full discussion of the facts, I could not say if you could have a valid case of discrimination. You are also entitled to have all bylaws applied equally to you as other residents and should take that up with the residential board, but this may not be something that you could in effect make a claim for in court , unless you could show it was due to race, color, gender, disability etc.

Remember my opinion is no substitute for contacting a local lawyer with all facts and a thorough discussion.