Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience

My father is in jail.he got in to a verbal argument and

Customer Question

Hello, my father is in jail.he got in to a verbal argument and decided to walk away and return to his single man jail cell. After returning to his cell a office opened the cell and a jail inmate attacked my father. My father is in need of medical attention and he is being denied medical attention. He had heart surgery back in November of 2015. And he is telling me that the jail nurse said that his blood pressure is 180 over 130.. which is very high.. he also had knee replacement surgery and he is telling me his knees are swollen. And he also has two black eyes from being attacked. Is it legal for them to denial him medical attention like that? And is it legal for the the officer to open his door allowing another imate to attack father shouldnt the officer prevent not promote attacks.I am sure this is on tape how ever I'm thinking a lawyer would need to request a copy of that tape.. what should I do?
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your father. You are correct that inmates are entitled to adequate medical care. And while every jail has its own regulations, allowing another inmate to attack another is not allowed and is probably negligence. As to how to proceed, it is up to you. You can either try to find a lawyer in your area who handles these types of cases (many criminal attorneys also handle civil rights issues that arise out of criminal cases) or you can see if your local ACLU chapter would be willing to help. The ACLU frequently litigates cases relating to prisoner's rights, including those cases where inmates are denied proper medical care, and so it is often a good place to start to see if they will assist you.

Here is their page on prisoner's rights and medical care that shows several of the cases they have handled on the issue: