Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I applied job, and at my interview I asked if my tattoos

Customer Question

I applied for a job, and at my interview I asked if my tattoos were a problem? They said "no" as long as I covered them up, they said that current employee's used sweat bans to cover their hand tattoos (yep, mine are on my hands) having come from the food industry my first thought was "yuck! how until sanitary " so I purchased BLACK sterile laytex gloves....the GM ok'd them but the District Manager said "no" didn't want the palms of my hands covered ? Would rather I have a flap of material covering the top of my hands..again not sanitary....am I SOL ? It's at a movie theater, I would be handling food....money's....garbage....and would supply my own gloves
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, the employer can in fact require for employee's tattoos to be covered in a manner and by material prescribed by the employee and I am afraid that generally, under similar circumstances the options would be to either comply with employer's requirements or to find another job.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.