Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

Our 21 month male Airedale Terrier was scheduled vasectomy

Customer Question

Our 21 month male Airedale Terrier was scheduled for a vasectomy on a normal descended testicle. The vet mistakenly performed castration instead. I have an email stating the mistake by the Practice Manager. The vet has verbally offered to cover the costs of any conditions associated with castration for the entire life of our dog.. Those conditions include, but are not limited to: ***** ***** risk of hypothyroidism, prostrate cancer, ACL & MCL tears resulting in TPLO surgery, spinal disc ruptures, chronic urinary tract infections etc. This vet is 63 years old. He may retire during the lifetime of our dog. What legal means can we take to ensure a medical trust fund for our dog for the remainder of his life? Our deceased dog was castrated at 6 months old. Because of the early castration, his hormonal development was stunted. I researched the many studies on the medical problems associated w castration on dogs for 2 years. Our last dog was a victim of ACL/MCL ruptures, 3 ruptured discs in his thoracic vertebrae, anal sarcoma resulting in an early death. We have records stating our absolute desire to not castrate our dog, and took painstaking efforts to communicate a directive for the vasectomy in a 45 min. consultation with the vet who performed the surgery, in a follow up phone consultation to the same vet, when scheduling the surgery and to the receptionist & the vet tech on the day of the surgery. Our dog had the total castration on 7/13/16. He is recovering normally. We chose this vet because he has experience in the specialty of laprascopic, minimally invasive surgery, he has experience & success in the uncommon practice of vasectomy on dogs. Our dog also had a cryptorchid testicule removed same day with the laprascopic procedure. That testicule had to be castrated for the dogs health. The normal descended testicle was the one we directed the vet & he approves to have the vasectomy performed. Please advise.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am not permitted to tell what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights / legal options that might potentially apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.

I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?

Thank you.