Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I read in the federal procedure manual back in 1996 that a

Customer Question

I read in the federal procedure manual back in 1996 that a body part that had a third surgery ( covered under DOL) was considered a lost body part and the DOL pays for the lost of that body part. I read it in the part that covers surgeries.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

That is not necessarily true. In order for it to be considered loss of use of that part, your doctor still needs to certify that the limb is unable to be used 100%. There are many times when after 3 or 4 surgeries a body part is functional again and as such just saying if there are 3 surgeries on the part it is considered loss of use is not true. The loss of use for that body part would still require a doctor saying it is not able to be used.