AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience
93913325

My step brother has been using my families last name he was

Customer Question

Hi my step brother has been using my families last name for years he was never adopted or have it changed in court I was almost arrested because he was trying to defraud Medicare. His first name is ***** ***** as mine and our birth dates or only a month apart and same year
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: It happened in Texas that's where he has lived for a long time I moved there in September of 2014 it happened in December 2014 through the end of January 2015
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I got the Medicare taken care of myself
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: He uses his real last name as an alias he has a very bad criminal record I have none
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience and I'd like to assist for informational purposes.

That is a very frustrating situation. If your step brother is actually using your personal information, such as using your date of birth as his own, and using the wrong last name on purpose, in order to pose as you, that could be prosecuted as Identity Theft, which is a crime.

Has this answered your question?

Hi, Please let me know if I have answered your question. I see that you viewed my answer, but did not give me a positive rating, and did not ask a follow up question.