legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

I contacted New Freedom College, 1957 West Burnside Street,

Customer Question

I contacted New Freedom College, 1957 West Burnside Street, # ***** Portland, Oregon 97209 (*****@******.***) sending them a down payment on the first college course given to inmates of prisons throughout the country on June 21, 2016 and later sent them an mail and again a letter and of this date have heard nothing. They apparently have a tax exempt filing and have been in business of offering inmates a four year college course via correspondence for two years. When I go into the internet it appears there are many pages devoted to this college. My concern is that I have heard nothing from my letter and application. Can you find out if they a legitimate college or is this a scam because I would think a College would respond by now since I originally corresponded with them on June 21st? Your help in this matter will be appreciated. Thank you.***@******.***, phone(###) ###-#### I am retired Air Force.
Expert:  legalgems replied 3 months ago.

A few minutes please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Correct phone number for me as it should be(###) ###-#### Sorry.

Apparently this school is not yet accredited:

That does not necessarily mean that it is a scam, but it does mean that an accredited school is not likely to accept credits earned at a nonaccredited school.

The concern with non accreditation is summarized below:

3. Does it matter whether my degree is from an accredited school or program?

In general, there are three major practical implications for students of receiving a public health graduate degree from a non-accredited institution:

• Some employment is only open to graduates of CEPH-accredited public health schools or programs. The US Public Health Service, many US military public health jobs and some state and local government agencies require that MPH-level jobs be filled with graduates of CEPH-accredited schools and programs. If you have an idea of the area or agency where you would like to work after graduation, you should speak to a human resources officer if you have additional questions.
  • Some fellowships are only available to students attending CEPH-accredited schools and programs that are also members of the Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPPH). Not all CEPH-accredited programs are members of ASPPH. If these fellowships are of interest to you visit for more information.
  • The National Board of Public Health Examiners, the body for the national credentialing exam for individuals who possess a graduate-level degree in public health, offers the exam only to graduates of accredited programs and schools. NBPHE is not affiliated with CEPH, and CEPH does not have a formal role in shaping the eligibility or other rules.

that is re: a public health degree, but the same concerns apply across all lines of employment/careers; so it is a personal decision to attend a school that is not accredited.

Information on accreditation here:

Some military tuition benefits will not apply to such schools.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I don't need to speak with you. I just want to know if they are in business. I am really not so concerned about their accreditatation as I merely want to use the correspondence courses to give the inmate something noteworthy to do as he won't be released until he is 67. Are they in business?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I already am aware of all the information you have given me as it is on the internet. They have many pages devoted to their institution but I am not getting any correspondence from them and I would think since I originally wrote them on June 21st they would have responded by now. I know if I was running a college I would not take that long to respond.

Yes, they are still in business and are registered with the state:

please see here