Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I live in County, TX. While I was walking my dog 3 weeks

Customer Question

I live in Harris County, TX. While I was walking my dog 3 weeks ago, my neighbor's dog ran across the street and bit my dog. I took my dog to the nearest ER immediately but he had to be put to sleep 3 hours later due to a fractured lung and 12 broken ribs.The medical bill from the ER is $700.00 and the cost for the cremation is about $200.00. Do I have any legal right to recover those expenses? In addition, should I file a police report and what other rights do I have legally as someone who just lost his dear pet?Thank you.
Expert:  Sam replied 4 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. I am very sorry to hear of your loss of your pet. Please note that I do not participate in phone calls offered by this site and so I will respond here. Thanks for your patience while I type the information.

Was the other dog on a leash? Was your dog on a leash?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The other dog wasn't on a leash. My was on a leash.
Expert:  Sam replied 4 months ago.

Thank you. Yes, you can sue for the amount of the medical expenses, and also I suggest you consider suing for punitive damages since the other dog was not on a leash. That means, the court will consider the value to replace your pet, along with costs to have it chipped, and also it is possible to receive something for your pain and suffering as Texas courts have ruled that way previously.